Need a good social media marketing book that fuels your learning and your career? Here’s our list of favorite reads for different aspects of social media.
To monitor social media algorithm updates, feature rollouts, and new tactics, you probably read blogs or watch explainer videos. But what about when you need to master a new-to-you social platform or develop your skills?
Whether you’re an experienced social media manager or you’re just getting started in the field, reading the right social media books can help you level up.
Check out 26 top social media marketing books for everyone interested in social media, from newbies to advanced marketers.
Social Media Marketing Books for Newbies
Learning the ropes of social media marketing? Build a solid foundation with the following books.
1. 500 Social Media Marketing Tips: Essential Advice, Hints, and Strategy for Business | Andrew Macarthy
From Facebook and Instagram to TikTok and YouTube, this entry-level book has tips for succeeding on every major channel. Need to learn the basics of social media strategy, content creation, and social ads? This book is for you.
2. Facebook Ads Made Simple: How to Create High-Converting Facebook Ads in an Hour or Less | Andrea Vahl
If you’re sick of boosting Facebook posts and getting minimal results, this book is a must. The ideal primer for advertising novices, this book walks you through the complex world of Facebook Ads. By teaching you to align ads with business goals, it can help you get much more out of Facebook Ads.
Want to find answers to all your social media questions in one book? “Social Media Explained” covers all the basics, including how to create a strategy and which platforms to use for your business. It also shows you how to measure success effectively so you can get the best possible results for your brand.
4. Social Media Marketing for Beginners 2021 | Chandler Miller & Donald Preace
Updated every year with current data and tips, this book is an essential pick for beginners. Although it touches on social media trends and brand-building, this book goes beyond simple Facebook and YouTube tips. It also has actionable tips on aligning SEO with social media marketing and achieving key business goals.
5. Social Media Marketing Workbook: How to Use Social Media for Business | Jason McDonald
If you’re looking for a fun and inclusive approach to social media, this workbook should be a top pick. It teaches social media marketing through the lens of throwing a party and shows you how to invite followers and build your brand purposefully.
6. Ultimate Guide to Social Media Marketing | Mike Allton, Amanda Robinson, and Stephanie Liu
This book takes readers through a 360-degree perspective of social media marketing in businesses, from strategy to tactics, from organic to paid, from B2B to B2C, encompassing all of the current networks. (Plus, Mike Allton heads up brand ambassadors for Agorapulse.)
Book List for Advanced Social Media Marketers
Already mastered the basics of social media marketing? Dive deeper into specific platforms or boost your brand-building capabilities with these social media marketing books.
7. Instagram Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Following Fast, Driving Massive Traffic & Generating Predictable Profits | Jeremy McGilvrey
Looking to amplify your Instagram strategy? This book shows you how to attract the right audience and start selling now. “Instagram Secrets” is all about building an audience that gets you tangible results—like profit—rather than followers alone. Since this book is all about rapid action, it can help you reach goals quickly, too.
8. The Lead Machine: The Small Business Guide to Digital Marketing | Rich Brooks
If you want to achieve more by integrating social media with email marketing and SEO, pick up this book. It follows the BARE method, which involves building a website, attracting leads, retaining customers, and evaluating results. It also covers builds a complete digital strategy so you can do everything from prospecting on social media to converting website visitors.
9. The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly | David Meerman Scott
Best practices for digital marketing constantly evolve, and this recently updated edition covers the rules you need to know now. This book touches on everything from newsjacking and live video to leveraging social media to connect directly with customers.
10. Run With Foxes: Make Better Marketing Decisions | Paul Dervan
Reading about experts’ experiences with social media campaigns can provide invaluable inspiration. “Run With Foxes” is packed with stories about marketing successes and failures that can help your team make better decisions.
11. YouTube Growth Hacking: How to Drive Massive Traffic to Your Channel And Turn People Into Rabid Fans | Jeff Abston
As more brands adopt YouTube, it’s more important than ever to master this social channel. This book teaches you how to design a long-term YouTube strategy and how to grow your audience. It also shows you how to monetize your channel to drive consistent revenue.
Design and Copy Books for Social Media Marketers
Want to write better copy or create more compelling visuals for social media? These books have you covered:
12. Brand Storytelling: Put Customers at the Heart of Your Brand Story | Miri Rodriguez
Every brand has a story, but not all of them know how to tell it in a compelling way. In this book, you’ll learn why centering your story on customers is key to building a successful brand. You’ll also find out how to tell your story in a way that drives customer engagement and loyalty.
13. Content Mavericks: How to Grow Your Business with Insanely Shareable Content | Andrew Pickering & Peter Gartland
If it seems like your content isn’t getting you anywhere, this book should be at the top of your list. In seven steps, “Content Mavericks” shows you how to write insanely shareable content that actually makes your business money.
14. Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content | Ann Handley
Most social media managers write copy, but not all of us are at the “ridiculously good” level yet. Read this book to improve your writing skills so you can attract and retain more customers for your business. You can apply what you learn to social media, email marketing, blogging, and more.
15. Exactly What to Say: The Magic Words for Influence and Impact | Phil Jones
If you’re ever at a loss for words, this book can help you find them. In “Exactly What to Say,” you’ll learn some magic words that you can repurpose throughout your marketing efforts. From writing social media posts to generating leads, you’ll be able to say just the right thing.
16. The Power of Visual Storytelling: How to Use Visuals, Videos, and Social Media to Market Your Brand | Ekaterina Walter & Jessica Gioglio
Good storytelling goes way beyond words alone, and this book focuses on using images and videos to win customers. “The Power of Visual Storytelling” serves as a roadmap to start you down the right path and a source of inspiration for more complex narratives.
Community Building and Customer Research Books
Want to get to know your audience and grow your social media community? Check out these books:
17. Brand Experiences: Building Connections in a Digitally Cluttered World | Steve Randazzo
To stand out from the competition, it’s important to offer a brand experience that truly resonates with customers. This book shows you how to cultivate a loyal following, build a brand that customers love, and make a lasting impact.
18. Likeable Social Media: How To Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, & Be Generally mazing On All Social Networks That Matter | Dave Kerpen, Michelle Greenbaum & Rob Berk
To build a brand that everyone loves, you have to be likable. This book shows you how to engage customers in meaningful ways and create content that appeals to your followers. Since social media isn’t always sunshine and rainbows, it also shows you how to handle negative feedback successfully.
19. One Million Followers: How I Built a Massive Social Following in 30 Days | Brendan Kane
No matter your audience goals, “One Million Followers” shows you how to attract and retain the right people. This must-read offers a roadmap for gaining an authentic following, creating content that resonates, and building a viable brand.
20. Participation Marketing: Unleashing Employees to Participate and Become Brand Storytellers | Michael Brito
Establishing trust isn’t always easy for businesses, but “Participation Marketing” can show you the way. This book reveals how employee advocacy can grow your brand and how you can scale this valuable tactic.
21. What Customers Crave: How to Create Relevant and Memorable Experiences at Every Touchpoint | Nicholas Webb
How well do you really know your brand’s target audience? This book is designed to help you identify what your customers truly want so you can create their ideal experience. “What Customers Crave” also helps you identify the touchpoints that matter most to improve audience engagement.
Influencer Marketing Books
Eager to leverage influencer marketing for your brand? These books can teach you how to build mutually beneficial relationships with influencers:
22. The Age of Influence: The Power of Influencers to Elevate Your Brand | Neal Schaffer
To grow, brands have to be the topic of conversation. That means they have to plug into the vast network of influencers. This book is a necessary read for marketers that want to develop a successful influencer marketing program, from outreach to analytics.
23. Beyond Influencer Marketing: Create Connections with Influential People to Build Authority, Grow Your List, and Boost Revenue | Cloris Kylie
To establish yourself or your client as an authority, you need credibility and connections. “Beyond Influencer Marketing” can help you forge important relationships, improve your mindset, and leverage your network to increase your influence.
24. Influencer: Building Your Personal Brand in the Age of Social Media | Brittany Hennessy
If you manage social media for public figures who have personal brands, this book is a must-read. “Influencer” walks you through the basics of influencer marketing, from building an audience to pitching sponsors. It also shows you how to monetize your brand and generate a profit.
25. Influencer Marketing for Brands: What YouTube and Instagram Can Teach You About the Future of Digital Advertising | Aron Levin
If you’re looking for expert advice from the opposite perspective, this book is essential for brands. “Influencer Marketing for Brands” helps you understand how your company can benefit from influencer relationships and how you can scale your strategy to grow your business.
26. Platform: The Art and Science of Personal Branding | Cynthia Johnson
With the right strategy, you can grow your personal brand from zero to 100 more quickly than you might think. “Platform” shows you how to become an influencer whom brands want to work with and walks you through developing your own personal platform.
Building your own personal library with some social media marketing books? Want to level up your team or agency? Either way, these social media marketing books offer a great place to start.
Get started on saving time and energy on your own social media management! Check out our free trial of Agorapulse to help you schedule, track, and measure all your social media efforts.